Monday, August 25, 2014

Unit 1: Ubuntu’s Interface

Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system. This week I both downloaded the desktop and server ISO’s for Ubuntu. I also got a basic introduction to Linux from my virtual Learning Center. We were asked to search through Ubuntu’s ‘New to Ubuntu’ forum to find something interesting about the software. At first I was having issues finding interesting things because a lot of this section is about issues people are having with the software. On the other hand hearing about issues is a great way about hearing about some of the features you would never have thought of.
So apparently Ubuntu’s interface was made to look like a Mac interface. In the forum "New to Ubuntu Forum" a user was asking about the accessibility of changing Ubuntu’s appearance.
 I have been working with both macs and pcs for years now and I definitely think that’s an interesting choice. But based on simplicity I can see that making sense. I’m merely talking about the appearance and not the system behind the scene. Continuing my read I found that Ubuntu can look like any type of operating software appearance you want. It merely involves clanging the GUI (graphic user interface) feature in the software. I did a couple image searches and found this to be totally true. 


Here’s Ubuntu’s GUI set to look like Windows 8:
Or Windows 7: 
Needless to say I thought this was something interesting because appearance is a very important feature especially because the appearance may be based on how you use your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment