Sunday, September 28, 2014

Unit 6: My Webpage History

To be honest I have been playing with HTML since the early days of the web (depending on your definition of course). In 1994 I was a freshman in high school and we had Netscape on our computers. Some of my classmates and I decided to learn HTML and made a very simple website. This was before CSS or Web 2.0 so interactivity was links and email but it was pretty awesome back then.

Since then I have tinkered with web design but haven’t really honed my skills. In IRLS 504 we were asked to create a simple website and that was cake (I made this while it was begin taught). It wasn’t until IRLS 575 User Interface and Website Design that I got a good refresher and update of web design. The class used the website Codecademy. Our first project for the class was for us to go through all of the lessons modules on the website and show proof of passing them. I got a great refresher and got to update my skills with CSS.

There was one thing I learned more than anything else in that IRLS 575 and that is there’s no reason to reinvent the wheel when it comes to code. You don’t need to write webpages from scratch after you know how to write them. Instead of always starting from scratch you can copy and paste code and you reuse or build off of someone else’s (as long as it is open source). I’ve created two final projects from what I learned in that class. Each of them uses the same template but uses them differently. 

Feel free to check them out:


IRLS 520 Ethics for Library and Library Professionals




No comments:

Post a Comment