Sunday, September 14, 2014

Unit 4: New Users

Today was a New User installation extravaganza! In just a few hours I created new users and groups in Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu  Server, and with Webmin. I had a rough start. I was required to change the default Shell directory for new users from /bin/sh to /bin/bash. We were give the command line $ sudo useradd -D -s /bin/bash. Unfortunately it didn’t work. I tried to do it multiple times and even logged out and back on to see if it that would help.
So I did what anyone who really wants to solve a mystery in the command line crime world, I search the web for clues. Everyone mostly pointed out that what I was trying to use in my command was correct. This was not helping so I dove deeper and found a new solution. I could change the useradd file itself. The webpage warned me about the possibility of messing up the system, so I copied the file before entering vi (text editor). The file was quite easy to change all of the changeable attributes were grey. I changed the SHELL=/bin/sh to SHELL=/bin/bash and saved it. I type $ sudo useradd -D and the Shell default was now updated. The mystery was solved and all is well with the world.

My next adventures were a lot easier in comparison to my bash and bin murder mystery. I simply opened Ubuntu desktop and did a search for user. A User panel became available and as soon as I unlocked the window I was allowed to create new users. It was a pretty self-explanatory process. Not much was customizable, but I could decide if the new users were an administrator or not. I was next asked to install Gnome software which would add an additional User and Groups application. In it I could create and delete users and groups. Also I had a lot more options when it came to access for the users and groups I created. Between the two in Ubuntu desktop app’s I think the Gnome addition was a bit more to my liking. I like to being able to do more than most general software normally lets you. I was a bit surprised that the Gnome software didn’t come with Ubuntu initially, but I guess not that many people need those kind of options and those who do can download it.

Lastly I used Webmin. It pretty much looked like router software if you log onto it from a web browser. Using it was pretty self-explanatory and in no time I created both a group and a user I named after my dog Buddy.

This was a fun day and it was nice to play around with so many different applications to do seemly the same thing with GUI and CLI. The start was a bit bumpy, but I’ve noticed that it always is. Just like when you’re about to leave shore with a row boats, someone has to give the boat one last push before the water takes over and the boat takes full float. 

No comments:

Post a Comment